Diversity and Inclusion
Engaging and communicating effectively with diverse communities
My work in diverse communities involves tailoring messaging to specific target audiences, going beyond traditional marketing approaches to reach people (i.e. over-the-top channels, live social media methods, digital video, influencer marketing, and word of mouth), and providing inclusive and culturally sensitive responses internally and externally to ensure everyone feels valued and understood.
Here are some strategies that I've used in my previous roles as an art administrator to engage diverse audiences. Please keep in mind that these strategies were regularly evaluated to adapt to audience feedback, participation and industry trends.
1. Language, Tone and Imagery: At Omaha Performing Arts, Voices AMPLIFIED! was created to amplify artists and their work in social justice through live music, dance, theatre and spoken word. As the communications specialist, it was my role to ensure that the use of language and branded materials reflected the diversity of the audience and resonated with cultural backgrounds.
2. Multilingual Support: At Omaha Performing Arts, I managed and developed the program books, which was also offered in Spanish to cater to international audiences.
3. Collaborations: Partnered with influencers, organizations, and leaders from diverse communities to reach a broader audience.
4. Inclusive Content: Created video content that addressed the needs and concerns of different communities, showcasing diversity and representation.
5. Social Media Engagement: Actively participated in conversations across various platforms and was responsive to feedback from diverse communities.